It’s time to move into your new place in Dubai! Everything is finally ready, but you’re confused about how water and electricity will be managed in your new home. Lucky for you, it’s as easy as can be thanks to DEWA. Here’s everything you need to know.
What Is DEWA?
DEWA stands for Dubai Electricity and Water Authority. It is a government entity and Dubai’s sole provider of electricity, water, and sewerage.
What Is DEWA One Step Move-in?
DEWA automated the move-in activation process of their services for tenants as soon as the EJARI is issued. It’s called a One Step Move-in.
How Does One Step Move-in Work?
- The moment your EJARI is created, all your data will automatically be transferred to DEWA and your account created, just like that!
- You will receive an SMS and welcome email from DEWA with steps to pay the security deposit online or through any of the authorized DEWA payment channels.
- The best part is that you will not be required to submit any documents.
- After payment, your services will soon be activated.
What Are the Alternatives to Activate a DEWA Account?
If for any reason you didn’t receive a welcome notification for DEWA move-in, no need to worry! In that case, you have two options. Either you choose to set up your DEWA account online or head over to the nearest DEWA service center.
- Download from the official website the required DEWA application form
- Submit the filled application online
- Pay security deposit through DEWA online payment service
- Await confirmation by email.
- Collect DEWA application from your nearest DEWA customer care center
- Complete your application and submit it on the spot
- Pay security deposit at the counter
- Collect your security deposit receipt.
What Are the Mandatory Fields in Your DEWA Application?
- Valid EJARI (tenants)
- Title deed (owners)
- Emirates ID
- Trade license (commercial and industrial customers)
- Passport copy (GCC nationals and investors).
What Are the Required Documents for Personal Connection of DEWA?
- Complete, signed application form
- Copy of signed Tenancy Contract
- Passport copy for the tenant and landlord with valid visa page
- Proof of Ownership or Deed of Sale or Sales Agreement copy
- Authorization letter in case applicant is absent.
What Are the Required Documents of DEWA for Companies?
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) issued by the company
- Trade license of the company
- Passport copy of the company’s authorized signatory.
What Is the Estimated Delivery Duration?
- 15 hours after payment of security deposit (One Step Move-in)
- 24 hours if activation was through website or offline.
How Much Is the DEWA Security Deposit?
- Residential apartments: AED 2000
- Residential villas: AED 4000.
Is DEWA Deposit Refundable?
Yes, a DEWA security deposit is refundable. To make things easy and avoid any wasted time, DEWA partnered up with Western Union, one of the world-leading organizations in global money movements.
You can collect your security deposit refund from any Western Union location within the UAE or at any destination in the world. Here’s what you have to do.
- Request a refund of your security deposit through the official website or app
- Choose Western Union as your pay-out option
- Await confirmation that your deposit is ready to be collected
- As soon as you are notified, your deposit will be ready for collection at any Western Union location in the UAE or otherwise.
How Much Are the Activation Charges?
Activation charges are as follows (applicable to VAT):
- Electricity and water connection fee (small meters): AED 100
- Electricity and water connection fee (large meters): AED 300
- Registration fee: AED 10
- Knowledge fee: AED 10
- Innovation fee: AED 10.
If you are a Thukher and Sanad cardholder, then you are entitled to a 50% discount on these charges.
What Is a DEWA Housing Fee?
Also known as a municipality fee, it is a fee applicable to all expats in Dubai for services provided by Dubai. It appears on your DEWA bill once a year.
How Is the Housing Fee Calculated in DEWA?
The housing fee in Dubai amounts to 5% of your annual rent. For owners, the rental value of the property is applicable as per the RERA rental index.
What Is a DEWA Premise Number?
You will find the 9-digit premise number at the entrance of each premises in Dubai.
How Can You Check Your DEWA Bill Online?
DEWA’s official website has a service for customers to view their bill online. You only need your DEWA account number or premise number.
What Are the Methods of DEWA Payment?
DEWA has provided you with various ways to settle your DEWA bill, so you can choose what suits you best:
- DEWA App. Open the app on your iOS or Android to pay your outstanding bill in minutes.
- DEWA Official Website. You can log onto the website for payment any time you want. If you choose this method, please note that only GCC cards are accepted.
- DEWA EasyPay. If you’re looking for just one stop to pay multiple bills, then this is the correct option for you. EasyPay can be easily accessed on the website, with option to pay the following on one page:
- Account payment
- EV Green Charger bill
- Port Sales payment
- Estimate payment
- KW invoice payment
- General payments (electricity meter testing, transformer oil testing, jointer certification, etc.)
- DEWA SMS mPay. All it takes to pay your bill is to send an SMS message. You just need to activate this service first right here. You could also activate an auto payment feature, in which your payment is done automatically every month.
- DEWA Service Center. Head over to the nearest one to pay your DEWA bill.
- Banks. Some banks in the UAE accept DEWA payments.
- Mail. If you wish to send a cheque by mail, you can send it to DEWA, PO Box 564, Dubai.
- Drive-through. Al Wasl and Umm Ramool centers have a drive-through service in case you’re in a hurry.
- Etisalat Payment Machines. You can deposit cash payments to any Etisalat payment machine available at various locations in the UAE.
- ENOC/EPPOC Service Stations. You could pay your DEWA bill as you fuel your car. Only cash payments are accepted for DEWA.
- Emirates Post Offices. You can pay at any Emirates Post Office with an applied charge of AED 2.
- Tayseer. You can easily pay through Tayseer via a reference number at an Emirates NBD cheque deposit machine.
How Can You Pay DEWA for a Friend?
All you need to have is your friend’s account number to pay through any of the above mentioned payment methods.
Who Pays an Outstanding DEWA Bill from Previous Tenant?
You are not responsible for any outstanding DEWA bill that belonged to the previous tenant. If it wasn’t paid, it is the sole responsibility of the landlord to settle the bill.
What Is a DEWA Move-to Service?
This is a service to transfer a DEWA account for those moving from one premises to another within Dubai.
What Is the Required Information to Apply for a Move-to Request?
If you’re wondering how to transfer your DEWA account, first you need to have the following information:
- EJARI number of current residence
- Premise number of new residence
- Date of move-in
- DEWA account number (existing residence)
- Date of move-out.
You can apply for a Move-to request online on the DEWA official website or at any service center using this information.
What Is a DEWA Final Bill Enquiry?
In case of leaving Dubai, you will need to submit a DEWA final bill request or enquiry in order to deactivate your electricity and water from the premises (move-out service). The request is submitted online or through any DEWA office.
What Are the Charges for DEWA Move-out Service?
- Deactivation of electricity and water (small meters): AED 100
- Deactivation of electricity and water (large meters): AED 300
- Knowledge fee: AED 10
- Innovation fee: AED 10.
If you are a Thukher and Sanad cardholder, then you are entitled to a 50% discount on deactivation charges.
What Is the Estimated Duration for DEWA Disconnection?
Disconnection upon move-out will take place about 24 hours after the submission of the request. You can expect your final DEWA bill on your registered e-mail address, along with ways in which you can collect your security deposit.
What Happens When DEWA Payment Is Delayed?
- DEWA services will be liable to disconnection 14 days after the due date mentioned on your bill.
- DEWA will send 3 reminders before disconnection.
- If disconnection occurs, services will be reconnected 4 hours after settling the bill.
What Can You Do to Reduce Your DEWA Bill?
Your bill can be quite expensive if you’re not careful, so here are a few quick tips on how to reduce your DEWA bill:
- Set your thermostat to auto mode, 24 degrees or higher, saving AC consumption.
- ACs should not be older than 10 years.
- Use fans for air circulation.
- Clean AC filters regularly.
- Block out the sunlight using curtains and the like to reduce heat as much as possible.
- Save energy by turning off lights when not needed.
- Use LED lights.
- Clean your light bulbs regularly.
- Make use of natural lighting when possible.
- Run your dishwasher when it’s full.
- Use your washing machine when it’s a full load.
You’ve come to the right place! Dubai is a city that provides you with everything you need without hassle. The first thing to think about when moving in is DEWA, and this simple guide puts you on the right track.