The daily work commute plays a crucial role in which neighbourhood you choose to call home
Dubai’s population has been growing massively in the past 10 years. It’s one of the safest countries in the world, offers a convenient and luxurious lifestyle with good salaries to boot. That’s why it has lured in expats from all corners of the earth who have built it into a multicultural haven. Previous studies by Property Finder have revealed that the daily work commute plays a crucial role in which neighbourhood everyone is choosing to call home. House price tops the list in the decision-making hierarchy, so here’s an infographic to show you how much it costs to rent near a Metro station in Dubai.
Facts on Dubai Metro you may not know:
- Dubai Metro is the longest driverless network in the world with a route length of 75km.
- Every station is designed to mimic one of five themes important to the UAE — heritage, earth, air, water and fire. For example, Rashidya Metro station features cloud-like architecture, while the Burjuman station is intended to make commuters feel like they’re underwater, the Mall of the Emirates Metro station’s colour scheme matches volcanic magma.
- Work on the first Dubai Metro station began in May 2005 and was completed on September 2009.
- In the first two days of operation, more than 110,000 (approx. 10% of Dubai’s population) used it. Now, the Metro sees about 455,000 daily passengers.
- Dubai Metro’s ‘Gold Class’ ticket costs double the price of a regular ticket. For the extra fee, you’re guaranteed a seat (even during peak hours) and also extra leg room. The trains also have Silver Class and Women and Children carriages.
- Eating and drinking is forbidden on the Metro. Violators could face fines for breaking the rules, which range from AED100 to AED2000. Check the Summed up: Dubai Tram, Metro & Trolley fines for full information.
- According to the Dubai Metro website, the longest you’ll ever wait for a train is 3.5 minutes. That’s a whole lot better than New York’s subways – the largest in the world but can have wait times of up to 14 minutes.
How did we do it
The Property Finder data scientists’ team pulled out data from September 2016 to March 2017 and calculated the average median rent for a studio, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom in communities nearest to Dubai Metro stations. So, for example; Al Barsha was selected for Sharaf DG Metro station.